Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Synanthrope

What other sorts of "anthropes" are there?




Heard the term "Synanthrope" while listening to the 99% Invisible podcast as a term referring to things that live along with humans; dogs, cattle, sparrows, pigeons, rats, and such. It struck me as an intriguing term. These things are adapted "close-in", not like Demodex (eyelash mites), nor quite as close in as clothing, or glasses, or even non-vital things, like tools such as wrenches and vehicles, but close nevertheless.

As I tend to do I try to swap in and replace elements to see how a concept holds up.

In retrospect I'm surprised I haven't asked this question before. I have, in ways, but not with this sort of precision: what other sorts of "anthropes" are there? What else has co-evolved along with us?

I have some that come to mind, but I'll return to this in a while before I state them to see if there are any other observations volunteered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Orrery as Self